Wednesday, 1 July 2015

An Argument in Favour of Genetic Hybrids and Cloning

Why did we ever think dinosaur parks were a bad idea? So many activities!
I've been waiting for another Jurassic Park movie for years. Back in around 2012 I heard one was in the mix, then shortly after it was canned/postponed. I don't know if what eventually became Jurassic World was a revival of that, or something completely new, but I don't care cos it's awesome (I could do some research and answer that question for myself...but I'm lazy and it doesn't matter because we got the movie in the end anyway).

I was always terrified of Jurassic Park as a kid, particularly the kitchen scene with the raptors, yet I still wanted to watch whenever it came one TV. Jurassic World is another whole dinosaur movie. Perhaps not as scary (granted, I am three times older than I was watching the original), but it's massive, and full of the same action/adventure. There's a good dose of lighthearted humour and one-liners, and some surprising cross-references to the original movie (or the original park).

The plot obviously isn't completely original, with the whole dinosaur-escapes-and-wreaks-havoc-in-a-tourist-park thing being more or less the same as the first movie. But it's meant to be that way, since we're seeing how the park was fixed up following the disaster of the original park. And there's a nice twist in the form of a hybrid dinosaur thrown in the works. First of all, the science behind that is really interesting; to take cloning technology and mix it with hybrid genetic technology is mind-blowingly awesome and makes for a really cool new dinosaur. Plus, it has the advantage of being free from the restrictions of the previous movies, since they could really make the dinosaur be anything they wanted it to be. Having said that, given the near limitless opportunities, I would've like to see a real Frankenstein of a dinosaur. You know, like a flying, amphibious, venomous dinosaur with armor and horns and crazy shit. Although that's probably taking the sciences a bit too far. What we get with the Indominus Rex is actually believable, since all the base dinosaurs are from the same family (or genus, species, whatever you want to call it), and is still quiet awesome and freaky. Solid dinosaur, solid movie.

Apparently there's going to be another sequel. Hell yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment